ATALA is an Australia-based trade association dedicated to the promotion of travel from Australia to Latin America. Our objectives are as follows:
- To regularly bring members together to establish and develop relationships
- To have a better understanding of the travel matters which relate to Latin America
- To stimulate the growth of travel to Latin America
- To improve the media profile and coverage of Latin America
- To increase public awareness of Latin America as a tourism destination
- To advise Latin American suppliers of the requirements of the Australian marketplace
- To organise promotional and informative events on behalf of our members
- To encourage increased welfare and safety standards across all aspects of travel in Latin America
- To work as a lobby group to Latin American tourism bodies, airlines and other industry partners
Ted Dziadkiewicz - Chairman
With four decades of experience to draw upon combined with a love for and expertise in Latin America Ted is very well placed to chair the ATALA Board. Contours offer a wide range of tours (including tailor-made programs, small group itineraries, special interest tours) throughout Latin America and is a highly-respected operator with long-term partners. Apart from providing tours, the team at Contours Travel is committed to helping locals via a number of community projects including providing clean water, education and jobs creation.
Chad Carey – Vice Chairman
Chad co-founded Chimu Adventures with business partner Greg Carter in 2004. Chimu Adventures started as an online tour operator focused on Peru and over the years has grown to become one of Australia’s largest specialist wholesalers to Latin America. Chimu Adventures has sales offices in Australia, the UK, Canada and Peru as well as three operations offices on the ground in Latin America.
Michelle Mohaupt – Secretary
Michelle’s passion for the travel industry began at a very young age, having grown up in luxury hotels that her father managed in both Mexico and Australia. After beginning her professional career in a large financial services firm in Melbourne, Michelle followed her heart back to Latin America to work as Marketing Manager for a small Chilean chain of luxury adventure lodges. She returned to Australia in 2012 and founded Moh Collection, a sales & marketing representation company for luxury hotels and cruises in Latin America.
Jonathan Chaparro-Zarate - Treasurer
Jonathan has immense passion for anything Latin American. Having family in Chile and travelling throughout most of South America from an early age he has developed an immense knowledge of the continent, which he has used to promote travel to South America. South America Tourism Office (SATO) founded in 2001 has been built on the advice and experience of locals who have worked in the travel industry for more than three generations. SATO is now one of the leading and respected specialist wholesalers for Latin America in Australia.
Alex has been involved in the travel industry since 1989 and first visited South America in 1994. He has experience as a tour leader/guide and has worked in sales and marketing in Australia, the UK and Canada. He worked at Peregrine Adventures for over 15 years, during which time he held numerous positions including Sales & Marketing Director and Head of Product. In 2011 Alex bought (in partnership with two others) South America Travel Centre. Alex is one of the five founding members of ATALA.